HOW TO DRESS YOUR SHAPE
– Leave The Loungewear Behind and Dress For The Latest Lockdown Without A Single Jogger in Sight
style & fashion
As we are all on house arrest for the foreseeable future, we’re back to working (and once again, educating our children) from home. But we want to do things a little bit differently this time round, and wish to say goodbye to unprofessional and depressing pyjamas and loungewear, and hello to chic, smart, flattering pieces instead. I.e. the smart casual aesthetic we knew and loved before we knew what Coronavirus or lockdown really was. We all feel better when we’ve done our hair and make-up, and getting dressed as if you’re going to the office or for lunch with your girlfriends has been proven to have the same effect too.
Smart Casual Comfortable Lockdown Outfits
This might sound scary if you – like most of us – have put on a few Christmas pounds, to add to the existing unwanted pounds from the first lockdown, but it doesn’t mean you should spend these next few months covered up in unflattering, shapeless clothes. There are many ways to dress professionally, glamorously and of course still comfortably, without a single tracksuit or pyjama bottom. And of course, without drawing unwanted attention to the body parts you’re suddenly more self-conscious of…
What Body Shape Am I?
It all starts with identifying your body shape, and then discovering what pieces work to flatter every single inch, by cleverly disguising the parts you’re not so fond of drawing attention to, and diverting attention to the areas you love.
We don’t always love comparing our bodies to fruit, but it seems to work in terms of envisioning your shape, so we’ll go with it. Here are some of the most common body shapes – including some famous faces which fall under that category – along with smart yet subtle ways to make the most of each shape…
An apple shaped woman tends to be the biggest around the middle, which usually means the parts on either side, i.e. the chest and legs, are a lot smaller. Therefore, they’re the parts to really focus on. Apple shaped ladies tend to have gorgeously enviable pins, so it’s all about showing them off!
What Celebrity Is An Apple Shape?
Drew Barrymore, Kate Winslet, and Catherine Zeta Jones are famous apple shaped ladies, which they disguise well with their smart sartorial choices and expertly tailored looks that draw attention away from their biggest area, i.e. the stomach.
What To Wear That Hides And Flatters The Stomach
• Take advantage of pieces with ruched detailing around the stomach area.
• Wrap dresses and wrap blouses do wonders for apple shapes – the latter can work with everything from skirts to trousers, so have a few in your wardrobe for different occasions.
Kate & Pippa Burgundy Wrap Over Blouse
• Stick to darker colours, as we all know that these are more slimming.
• Fun and intricate patterns and prints are also a must, as they serve as a welcome distraction from the area you’re self-conscious of.
Garcia Black Shirt with Allover Flower Print
• Choose high waisted trousers and loose fitted blouses to pull focus from your stomach.
• Avoid anything that clings to the waist. Loose-fitting tunics, for example, are great for hiding the stomach area, but be careful if you’re blessed with a much bigger bust, as it could make your body look larger than it is.
Garcia White Tunic with Allover Dot Print
• Curvier shapes look great in A-line dresses; and don’t forget to use a belt to nip in the waist.
Access Fashion Black Elegant Dress with Detachable Belt
The pear shape is a very desirable shape indeed, consisting of a narrow waist and wide hips, which usually come out wider than the shoulders.
What Celebrity Is A Pear Shape?
You’re in very good company if you identify as a pear shape, as the likes of Kim Kardashian, Jennifer Lopez, and Beyoncé are all pear shaped beauties.
What Should I Wear To Flatter My Curves?
• Always look for something that draws attention to the waist, i.e. the smallest part. An A-line dress is a great example, as is a dress with a flattering elasticated waist.
Moss Copenhagen Allover Flowers Print Dress
• A belt is a great addition to all pear shaped wardrobes. It will draw attention to thesmallest part of the waist, and give the illusion of an even smaller waist, while accentuating those enviable curves on either side.
Garcia Brown Dress with Leopard Print
• Go for tighter tops that cling to your natural curves – a print is also a great idea. Avoid looser and more billowing tops as your curves will get lost in there.
• Also avoid jackets or cardigans that end at the hips, and instead go for cropped or longline variations.
Access Fashion Camel Brown Tailored Jacket
Kate & Pippa Red Teddy Jacket
• Choose the right trousers – high waisted or wide fit trousers and flared bottoms are great, whereas low-slung trousers that hug the hips are not.
Moss Copenhagen Black Wide Fit Trousers with Tie Belt
Also known as a rectangle shape, the banana shape refers to women whose shoulders, waist, and hips are all roughly the same width. This is also commonly regarded as the most athletic shape, and the styling possibilities are almost endless.
What Celebrity Is A Banana Shape?
Some of the most stylish women to ever grace a red carpet have been banana shapes, and they include Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Hudson, Anne Hathaway, and even Kate Middleton. Banana shaped ladies usually want to give the illusion of a curvier silhouette, which is luckilyvery easily achieved…
How To Give The Illusion Of Curves
• A belt on the waist or hip area is a great trick to instantly break up the straight silhouette.
• Tucking your top inside some slim fit jeans or trousers will also add some structure and definition.
Celia Super Slim Garcia Jeans Radygo Protect
• Anything with extra fabric such as peplum tops and dresses, for example, provide plenty of volume and drama, which is perfect for the banana shape.
• Straight and pleated skirts are great – the latter would really add some drama to the look – as are voluminous trousers or palazzo pants. Dresses or jumpsuits that have subtle additions such as pockets or even a belt are also great for adding dimension.
Moss Copenhagen Black Pleated Midi Skirt
Garcia Short Sleeve Dress with Allover Print
• Many banana shaped ladies tend to have smaller chests. Believe it or not, adding things that draw attention to the chest is actually a great way of stealing focus, so pad the area out with some oversized accessories and tops with intricate collar detailing.
Garcia Green Blouse with Bow
Inverted Triangle Shape
If you have straight hips and wider shoulders, there’s agood chance that you are the inverted triangle shape. It’s sometimes referred to as ‘top heavy’, although we like to describe it more simply as having broad shoulders and a more slender bottom half. Besides, broadshoulders instantly make your waist look even tinier by comparison, so we’re here for it!
What Celebrity Is An Inverted Triangle Shape?
From Oscar-winning actresses such as Angelina Jolie and Renee Zellweger, to two of the biggest supermodels in the world, i.e. Naomi Campbell and Cindy Crawford, there are many famous ladies who have the inverted triangle body shape. However, many inverted triangles don’t like drawing attention to their shoulders and sometimes even their arms, so there are quite a few ways to get around this…
I Don’t Want To Draw Attention To My Arms Or Shoulders
• Choose your handbag wisely – a clutch bag which you carry by your waist or hips is a great distraction from those shoulders.
• Divert attention to your bottom half with a bright colour or bold print.
Coster Copenhagen Asymmetric Skirt with Waistband
• Alternatively, go for volume at the bottom by way of a wide tulip skirt or flared trousers.
• Draw the eye down your shoulders to your chest by going for lower necklines or ruffled shirts.
Dark Blue Garcia Blouse with Allover Leaves Print
• And when the sun eventually comes out (or we’re finally allowed to go on vacation), avoid completely strapless pieces and choose longer length sleeves in a light, breathable fabric instead.
Coster Copenhagen Japanese Style Pink Dress
Do you feel ready to tackle the latest lockdown in style?
PS: Click here to have a sneaky preview of our New Arrivals
Have a great day!